Monthly Report: February 2013

28 Feb

As expected due to work, February was a drastic step back in terms of movie quantity to me. 13 new films seen, compared to January’s 42. Such is life. This month offered an even mix of the good and the bad.

Videocracy (Erik Gandini, 2009)
What happens to a country when its president owns 90% of its TV channels? Videocracy takes a look at Italy during media mogul Silvio Berlusconi’s reign as its leader, where TV is – seemingly – all lurid junk and everyone’s obsessed with celebrity. The depiction of Italian television prompts quite a few eyebrow-raising “Is this for real?” reactions in the early goings, but beyond the surface level, there really isn’t much to this documentary. Why not explain how Berlusconi could rise to power? Is there really no alternative to what he’s offering? The film grows less and less focused as it goes on, and there’s no real attempt at analyzing anything. This subject deserves a better film.
2/5

The Phantom of the Opera (Joel Schumacher, 2004)
I love musicals, but this was some pretty dull stuff. Some of the tunes are good, but there’s little emotion in the singing – or in the acting, for that matter. Gerard Butler in particular is an ill fit to play the Phantom, not managing to inject him with either danger or magnetism. The plot just goes on and on and on, and by the end of it, I had completely stopped caring. Nice sets, though.
2/5

Девичник_в_Вегасе_(04)

Bridesmaids (Paul Feig, 2011)
Sometimes I hate writing these mini-reviews for comedies, because it feels like there’s not that much to say other than “it was funny” or “it was not that funny”. Well, this one was funny. Really damn funny. There’s also the much mentioned novelty factor of having a raunchy comedy like this centering around women, so that’s cool too. What really helps to push this one up to greatness levels is the emotional resonance it has regarding friendship, envy, adulthood, relationships and more. Tremendous. Kristen Wiig rules.
5/5

2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
Certain movies you just keep hearing so much about that you start drawing incorrect conclusions about them. I actually expected to dislike this film. I had gotten the idea in my head that this was some dreadfully slow incomprehensible mumbo-jumbo. Which it isn’t. It’s a fascinating story, a true showcase of special effects and audio magic, and an experience quite of its own nature. I won’t pretend to entirely understand the meaning of the ending, but I believe it was Ingmar Bergman who said of his films that he didn’t care if you understood them, as long as they made you feel something. That definitely goes for this one. I wish I can see it on the big screen someday. That must be a trip.
4/5

North by Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock, 1959)
Another good Hitchcock thriller. I’ve come to expect no less from him. I enjoyed the humor in this one, as well as the overt chemistry between Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint. That finale is quite masterful, too.
4/5

Ip Man 2 (Wilson Yip, 2010)
A worthy follow-up to the first Ip Man film. The fight scenes are as cool and crisp as ever, Donnie Yen in the lead is still immensely likeable, and the story is solid indeed. The climactic fight is pretty great, thanks to a novel premise and a bad guy who you just long to see get his comeupance. This one’s an easy thumbs up.
4/5

sr4KT4DV9uTyVaJZwMMXf5LtgeK

Lifeboat (Alfred Hitchcock, 1944)
There’s some interesting notions going on in this film about the deterioration of civilized manners when man is under duress. The humor works for the most part too, but the story is ultimately a bit thin, and the pacing is uneven. I’d say all things considered, this is a good movie, but my least favorite Hitchcock so far.
3/5

Compliance (Craig Zobel, 2012)
It would be so very easy to dismiss the actions of the characters in this film as unbelievable, if not for the fact that this really did happen. Multiple times. With the film being, from what I’ve gathered, a very faithful recreation of one case of it. Mind-blowing, and crucial for the whole film to not buckle and collapse under the weight of the whole thing. There’s little wrong with the execution, and it’s a very compelling watch.
4/5

Safety Not Guaranteed (Colin Trevorrow, 2012)
“It could have been better” sounds like a negative thing to say about a film. I don’t think it necessarily is. Some mediocre movies are just as good as they could have ever hoped to be. There’s nothing there to make you think they could have been great. Time travel movie Safety Not Guaranteed, however, could definitely have been better. This is, in a way, a good thing, because it means there are great ideas and talent present here. If it had just been tighter and more focused thematically. If the sub-plot with Jake Johnson‘s asshole character had felt more relevant to the main story. If the tone of comedy had been more consistent throughout. If all these things had been, this could have been great. As it is, it’ll have to settle for good. It did make me want to learn to play the zither, though.
3/5

ruby-sparks_3

Ruby Sparks (Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris, 2012)
A clever script and some thoughtfulness go a long way. An interesting and funny take on the idea of the perfect mate. Between this one and Little Miss Sunshine, it seems like Dayton and Faris are the ones who truly know how to get the best out of Paul Dano. He was great in LMS, and he’s great here too.
4/5

The House of the Devil (Ti West, 2009)
Cool little slow-burn horror film that emulates the look and feel of the genre of the 70s and 80s. The atmosphere and scares are mostly effective, but the climax can only be described as a letdown.
3/5

Morgan Pålsson – World Reporter (Fredrik Boklund, 2008)
A film about an incompetent reporter (Anders Jansson) who finds himself in the thick of a revolution in a north African country. This movie is a prime example of everything that’s wrong with Swedish comedy. Predictable jokes, one-dimensional characters, moronic plot, and not the tiniest hint of energy or an edge anywhere. Terrible.
1/5

Argo (Ben Affleck, 2012)
Not my pick for Best Picture of the year, but a fine movie it was nonetheless. It’s a fascinating story, and the tension is ramped up very effectively as it builds to its climax. While I prefer Gone Baby Gone and The Town, this is yet another impressive directorial effort by Ben Affleck, who seemingly can do no wrong these days.
4/5

Total # of new films seen: 13
Average score: 3.3 / 5
Best film of the month: Bridesmaids
Worst film of the month: Morgan Pålsson – World Reporter

Posted by on 28 February, 2013 in Monthly Report

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 responses to “Monthly Report: February 2013

1. vinnieh

28 February, 2013 at 11:46

Excellent post, I couldn’t stop laughing watching Bridesmaids.

28 February, 2013 at 11:54

Hilarious movie, that one. Even though it had received plenty of hype since its release, I was still surprised by just how funny it was.

• vinnieh

28 February, 2013 at 11:55

Same here, the funniest bit for me was Annie’s drunken escapades on the plane.

28 February, 2013 at 13:49

It’s not always about the quantity, but the quality of the films you watch. I think you had some quality this month (not that you normally don’t, but not many poor movies, which is always nice to see).

I’ve seen 8 out of the 12.

Bridesmaids – I agree it was funny and also emotional. It worked pretty well both times I saw it, +3/5.

2001: A Space Odyssey – The first time I watched it many years ago I was a bit dissapointed. It felt slow and I think I wasn’t really up for it at that time. Then I watched it again a few months ago and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Really nice cinematography and effects. I don’t quite like the ending though, but still give it -4/5.

North by Northwest – Probably my favorite Hitchcock. It’s not perfect, at least not early on, but there are so many greats moments that whenever it’s on tv (mainly TCM), I keep it on in the background. Because it gets better and better, succeeds at being an adventure, comedy, thriller and romance all at the same time, this to me is a timeless classic. 5/5.

Lifeboat – Saw it a long time ago, but I have to agree with you. Not one of his strongest efforts, but still pretty interesting. I also gave it 3/5.

Compliance – I wasn’t exactly blown away by it. Saw it at SiFF and didn’t really know what to expect. I think the concept was pretty interesting, but the direction could’ve been better. On the other hand, the best part about it was that it had indeed happened. Without this fact, it would’ve been too incredible and laughable. +2/5 or -3/5.

Safety Not Guaranteed – Didn’t think it was great, but I’d call it a pretty solid minor film. What did it for me was the ending, no doubt about it. The ending worked well so I was happy. 3/5, maybe with a small plus.

Ruby Sparks – It was pretty ok. I thought the first half of the film was stronger than the second half. 3/5.

The House of the Devil – I fully agree with you – the ending was a letdown, which was a bummer because I really enjoyed this one. The atmospheric build-up was otherwise pretty perfect and I liked that they got the old school feel so well. I still gave it -4/5, but the ending almost ruined it.

28 February, 2013 at 22:39

Looks like we’re more or less in agreement this time around. I’m not sure what your problem with Compliance’s directing was, though.

1 March, 2013 at 12:51

I just felt that with a better director, Compliance could’ve been tighter and more suspenseful. It lacked something. But being based on a true story, I can understand if they didn’t want to change too much (even if it would’ve made it a better movie experience). But I’m glad you liked it so much!

3. Hannah M

28 February, 2013 at 18:05

I’m glad you were equally unimpressed by Phantom of the Opera. It’s one of my very favorite musicals (was my #1 all through high school) and I hated the film, particularly Gerard Butler.

I liked Ruby Sparks a lot, like you did. I didn’t know I would – I had heard enough about it that I was worried it would just be another quirky indie rom com and was sort of reluctant to sit down and watch it, but it was so much better than that.

28 February, 2013 at 22:41

This was my first exposure to Phantom of the Opera, other than having heard the title song covered by various artists. I was mostly bored, unfortunately.

Ruby Sparks was certainly quirky and all that, but at the same time, it was poking fun at itself a lot. It also went to some unexpectedly dark areas at the climax, which really worked for me.

4. kaarle kulvik (@opensourcezombi)

2 March, 2013 at 00:59

I have to agree with you on Argo, that it was solid entertainment, but not a great film on almost any standards… well that’s Oscars.

Shameless promo below:
    We are making a collaborative zombie film, where everybody sick enough can participate! Like Youtube’s Day in a Life but a fucked up version with sex craving zombies, fanatical groups slugging it out, cannibals, and other nasty stuff! Perfect date film with your dead grandmother!
    Here’s our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/opensourcezombie/
    Short trailer: