John LaRue over at TDYLF recently wrote a fun blog post called Fifty Wishes, which was just that: fifty things he wished for when it came to movies. I really like the idea, so I decided to
steal swipe borrow it for a post of my own. Make sure to head over to John’s blog and read the original post as well, though; he’s a great writer.
There may be some mild spoilers for certain movies in this list, but I’ve done my best to limit it to things that are either fairly common knowledge or what can be reasonably expected. Still, if you don’t want to know how Rocky ends, proceed at own peril.
(I’d like to apologize preemptively for any grammar mistakes. I pride myself on having a good grasp of the English language for someone who doesn’t have it as his primary tongue. However, “wish” is a tricky thing grammatically, and while I have tried to look up what verb forms to use, I’ve probably messed up here and there anyway.)
1. I wish Shannyn Sossamon were a major star.
2. I wish David Fincher will find better use for his considerable talent than directing the sequels to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
3. I wish to someday get the chance to see the unreleased Glitterati.
4. I wish I had gotten interested in movies earlier.
5. I wish all films ever made were available through digital distribution all over the world.
6. I wish there were a wider range of theaters around where I live.
7. I wish the story in Nine were as good as some of the song numbers.
8. I wish more screenwriters had the level of imagination that Charlie Kaufman has.
9. I wish I “got” war movies and westerns.
10. I wish Julie Delpy‘s plans to stop acting don’t come into effect before there’s a sequel to Before Sunset.
11. I wish Amélie lives happily ever after.
12. I wish the van full of WWE wrestlers in MacGruber didn’t blow up.
13. I wish there were more great roles for actresses over 40 years old.
14. I wish Revolver made sense.
15. I wish people in real life talked the way Alice, Dan, Anna, and Larry do in Closer.
16. I wish more Marvel movies had as interesting villains as DC Comics movies tend to have.
17. I wish I had not encouraged the producers by seeing Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen in theater.
18. I wish Nicolas Cage would do crazy roles more often.
19. I wish George Lazenby had done more than one Bond movie.
20. I wish more films would move me the way Grave of the Fireflies does.
21. I wish Heath Ledger hadn’t died.
22. I wish comedies were held in as high regard as dramas.
23. I wish dubbing didn’t exist outside of children’s movies.
24. I wish Thora Birch were in more films.
25. I wish For Your Consideration had been a mockumentary rather than a regular comedy.
26. I wish more films would improve drastically for me on a rewatch, like A History of Violence.
27. I wish I could curse and throw insults like Peter Capaldi‘s Malcolm does in In the Loop.
28. I wish Roger Avary‘s Glamorama turns out to be as great as The Rules of Attraction.
29. I wish someone would be insane enough to try to make a movie based on the book House of Leaves.
30. I wish 3D were always as amazing as it was in Avatar.
31. I wish Ryan Gosling never wants to stop being an actor.
32. I wish I could have a mogwai as a pet.
33. I wish Vinnie Jones had never done Mean Machine and tarnished his badass image in my eyes.
34. I wish Jason Statham would be in one of Guy Ritchie‘s Sherlock Holmes movies.
35. I wish more modern horror films would be as terrifying as Roman Polanski‘s Apartment trilogy.
36. I wish I had gotten to see The Way Back in theater.
37. I wish MPAA and similar organizations/systems didn’t have any effect on movie-making.
38. I wish all the noise and rumors on Ghostbusters 3 would just stop unless they officially decide to do the movie.
39. I wish I could see what others see in The Double Life of Veronique.
40. I wish Monty Python and the Holy Grail had a different ending.
41. I wish Rob Reiner were still as great as he was in the 80s.
42. I wish Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection hadn’t been Alien movies.
43. I wish Rocky had knocked Apollo the fuck out.
44. I wish I could erase all memories of Memento so I could relive the experience of watching it for the first time again.
45. I wish I could taste some of the pies in Waitress.
46. I wish more people would see Unknown White Male.
47. I wish more directors would utilize music as well as Spike Lee does.
48. I wish the real world allowed for people to be as unselfish as the townsfolk in Lars and the Real Girl.
49. I wish more musical movies were being made.
50. I wish to one day see a film I like even better than my current favorite Lost in Translation.