Blogs I Enjoy: My Filmviews and Southern Vision

23 Jan

It’s time for another edition of Blogs I Enjoy, a feature in which I spotlight a couple of great movie blogs I follow.

First up today is My Filmviews, a teriffic blog run by Nostra. Two things stand out to me about his blog. Number one is the design, which is very elegant and professional-looking. Number two – and more importantly – is the fun and varied content. Nostra has a number of recurring features on his blog. My favorite is probably “The Many Faces of…”, in which he puts together small pictures of an actor’s entire filmography worth of characters. He also invites to discussion at the start of each week with his “The Monday Question” series, and recently held a voted tournament to determine who is the best film villain of all time (spoiler: Darth Vader won). Plus there’s the usual stuff like reviews and such, all wonderfully written.

Southern Vision is an aptly named blog as it takes a look at film from the perspective of a New Zealander named Tyler. He is a prolific reviewer who doesn’t tend to go for the mainstream stuff; he’s more into non-American movies, indies and older films – some of his (many) favorite directors are Michael Haneke, Lars Von Trier, and Robert Bresson. For someone like me whose tastes tend to lean more towards contemporary American fare, Tyler’s writing is both informative and inspiring. More than once have I gotten the urge to venture outside my cinematic comfort zone due to his enthusiastic texts on the films he love. Tyler has real passion for the world of film.

For more wonderful film blogs, check out the Blogroll in the sidebar to the right. They’re all worthy of your attention.

Posted by on 23 January, 2012 in Blogs I Enjoy, Links

8 responses to “Blogs I Enjoy: My Filmviews and Southern Vision

23 January, 2012 at 10:33

Thanks for the mention Emil! This is a great series and I’m enjoying reading about all these terrific blogs!

23 January, 2012 at 10:51

You’re more than welcome, Tyler! I’ve been meaning to do more of these for some time now. Hopefully, I’ll get around to more sooner than later.

23 January, 2012 at 10:34

Thanks a lot for the kind words Emil! Brings a smile to my face!

23 January, 2012 at 10:52

They’re all well-earned, Nostra. Keep up the great work!

23 January, 2012 at 15:29

Thanks for introducing me to My filmviews, looks great! Already knew about southern Vision but couldn’t agree more!

23 January, 2012 at 15:49

No prob! Hope you enjoy Nostra’s writing.

4. Alex

24 January, 2012 at 16:50

Yes! I LOVE Southern Vision, how nice of you to mention Tyler’s blog. Gotta check out Flimviews now.

24 January, 2012 at 17:43

Aye, Southern Vision is great isn’t it? Hope you enjoy My Filmviews too!