I’m making a list, to check twenty-twice…

14 Jan

As you may know, I haven’t made a Top 10 of 2011 list yet, for two reasons. 1: There have been so many of them published in the blogging world lately that mine wouldn’t add anything new to the discussions. 2: I just haven’t seen enough films for the list to really mean much. Such a list made now would nigh-assuredly look vastly different to the same list made a year from now. While it’s true that all ranked opinionated lists are fleeting by nature, this would probably be a particularly big shift.

So when will I have seen enough to make my list? I didn’t make my 2010 list until just this past September. It was right after catching up with Scott Pilgrim vs the World, which I then haphazardly decided was the last 2010 film I had really high hopes for. In hindsight, I could have waited a bit longer. I have since seen some movies that could might well have made it onto the Top 10, such as Easy A and Cyrus. While the latter wasn’t really on my radar at that point, I had been wanting to see Easy A for quite some time. I really should have held out for that one. It slipped my mind.

So for 2011, I’m getting organized. I have compiled a list of films I must see before making my Top 10 for the year. These are films I figure there’s a good chance I might really like, and thus would have a good shot at making my 2011 list. After some reminding research, I ended up with a collection of 22 movies. For some, it’s because they’re by a director whose prio work I admire. For others it’s because of the actors involved, an intriguing premise, strong word of mouth, or just a gut-feeling. Many are among the current slew of Oscar hopefuls.

By no means are these all the 2011 films I want to see, or the ones I’ll see before any others. Some haven’t been released here in Sweden yet. Many I’ll catch up with through rentals, so the randomness of Lovefilm will also play a part (unlike Netflix’s neatly ordered rental queues, Lovefilm only offers a tiered system of organizing). Also, this list was put together on the spur in 10 minutes or so. There might be films that have slipped by my attention, so there could be later additions.

Here is the current list in alphabetical order.

The Artist – because crowd-pleasers can be pleasing.

The Beaver – because as polarizing as the response has been, the premise fascinates me.

Bridesmaids – because it’s Judd Apatow.

Carnage – because it’s Roman Polanski.

A Dangerous Method – because why wouldn’t I want to see Keira Knightley get a beating?

The Descendants – because it’s Alexander Payne.

The Future – because I have never been able to forget Me and You and Everyone We Know.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – because while I think it’s an unnecessary idea, it’s still David Fincher doing a thriller.

Hanna – because it sounds fresh and people I trust have recommended it to me.

Horrible Bosses – because I’m a big fan of comedies and Kevin Spacey.

Hugo – because of a gut-feeling and Martin Scorsese.

The Ides of March – because of Ryan Gosling.

Martha Marcy May Marlene – because too many people have talked about it for too long for it not to be worth seeing.

Melancholia – because it’s Lars von Trier.

Rampart – because The Messenger showed great potential in the Oren Moverman, Woody Harrelson and Ben Foster trinity.

The Skin I Live In – because I can’t look at that poster without being thoroughly intrigued, plus I haven’t seen many Pedro Almodóvar films.

Sleeping Beauty – because I need more Emily Browning to wash the taste of Sucker Punch out of my mouth.

Submarine – because I like the main character’s coat.

Take Shelter – because I want to be prepared for the end of the world.

We Need to Talk About Kevin – because of Tilda Swinton.

Win Win – because the trailer made it seem so by-the-numbers, yet everyone has so much love for it.

Young Adult – because Jason Reitman seems incapable of making films that aren’t great.

What 2011 films do you still really want to see?

Posted by on 14 January, 2012 in Lists

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 responses to “I’m making a list, to check twenty-twice…

14 January, 2012 at 19:54

I can’t leave this uncommented :) I’ve seen many of them, but at the same time there are several on your list I’d also like to see.

The one’s I’ve seen:

The Beaver – Not that bad, and darker than I thought. Worth a look.
    A Dangerous Method – Not interesting enough, expected more. Viggo Mortensen is the best thing about it.
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – I liked it, typical Fincher and works well even if you’ve seen the original.
    Hanna – Saoirse Ronan is impressive, the movie doesn’t work all the way, but worth watching.
    Horrible Bosses – Pretty funny with some good parts, the bosses are the main reason why it works.
    The Ides of March – Could’ve been better, but I like political thrillers (even though it’s mainly a drama).
    Martha Marcy May Marlene – One of the better movies of the year, excellent performance by Elizabeth Olsen.
    Rampart – Woody Harrelson gives one of the years best performances. The movie is solid, but could’ve been so much more. Better than The Messengers imho.
    The Skin I Live In – I liked it. It’s different and interesting, you should enjoy it.
    Win Win – Not as good as The Visitor by the same director, but a pretty good indie it is.

A lof of the others I’d like to see, hopefully before the Oscars. I just hate that a lot of the movies get here (Europe) so late, at least three months after the US. But we still pay MORE when we eventually have the chance to see them, haha.

14 January, 2012 at 22:23

I recently asked some American online friends about ticket prices, and at least where they live, the difference wasn’t all that big from ours. Theirs was maybe a dollar cheaper, but not more. But I do agree that late release dates can be a pain.

15 January, 2012 at 00:20

That might be true, that the prices are getting closer. But still, it shouldn’t take so long for the movies to get here. I guess they want to be able to put “Oscar contender” or “Nominated for X Oscars”. But for us movie lovers, it’s pretty annoying. I don’t want to hear about the movies “I need to see” all the time. I’d rather tell others about them ;)

Btw, I noticed you wanted us to tell you about what movies we really want to see from 2011. Well, you’ve pretty much mentioned them all. The Artist, Carnage, The Descendants, Hugo, Take Shelter, We Need to Talk About Kevin and Young Adult are all high on my list. I’m also curious to see Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Some said it was going to be a hot Oscar candidate and that it was one of the best movies in 2011. But now it seems unlikely and I don’t know what to think anymore. Still, could be flying under the radar…

15 January, 2012 at 06:25

Yeah, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close has been getting lukewarm reviews it seems. There are always some pre-hyped Oscars contenders that end up falling flat, and Extremely Loud seems to be one of them this season. I’ll probably check it out at some point, but it’s not very high priority. I liked Daldry’s last film, but I didn’t love it.

15 January, 2012 at 06:30

I agree completely for your reasoning behind The Future. Miranda July is brilliant.

15 January, 2012 at 06:48

I’m not very familiar with her work outside of movies, but Me And You And Everyone We Know is another movie I ought to rewatch at some point. So many stand-out scenes in that one.

15 January, 2012 at 10:35

Looks like a lot of joy coming your way! I’ve seen quite a few on that list, loved The Artist, The Beaver, Bridesmaids and Submarine! I just made this exact same list the other day and I think the only one we have in common is The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo… would be interested to hear what you think of my own list!

15 January, 2012 at 17:35

I shall go have a look right away!

4. Alex

16 January, 2012 at 15:44

The last 2011 flick I had to see before drafting my Best Of list was A Separation, which was great, but definitely not as good as The Skin I Live In… if I’m only talking about Foreign releases.

Many of the films you listed are great, some aren’t, but I hope you enjoy them nonetheless!

16 January, 2012 at 16:50

I keep hearing people heap praise on A Separation, but I’ve yet to hear anything specific that has whet my interest in it. I’m sure I’ll get around to it sooner or later, though.

I too hope I’ll find lots of stuff to like on this list. I already saw one of them last night: The Ides of March, which I certainly enjoyed. Looking forward to catching up with the rest of them as well.

16 January, 2012 at 17:07

A Separation is (at least so far) my favorite to win the Oscar for best foreign picture. It’s realistic filmmaking at it’s best. Really good from start to finish. I also liked Miss Bala (Mexico), but A Separation is the best I’ve seen from 2011. The Skin I Live In was also interesting, but not quite up there.

25 January, 2012 at 15:36

That looks like a worthy list of movies to still watch. I’ve seen quite a lot of them, but some I still have to check out as well (like Take Shelter).

25 January, 2012 at 16:18

Yeah, I’m very much looking forward to seeing them all. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say they didn’t like Take Shelter, so that’s one to make a bee-line towards, I reckon.