Things I wonder about in films

10 Dec

What’s going on in all the windows on Jeff’s side of the yard in Rear Window? We only get to see what happens across from him.

In Crank, how does Chelios get into the swimming pool on the roof of a bad guy’s building without any of the security guards noticing?

Just when the hell is it safe to feed a mogwai if you can’t do it “after midnight”? I know they touched on this in Gremlins 2, but there’s still no answer.

Primer. In general.

Has Brian Cox ever been young?

If Lloyd and Harry in Dumb & Dumber are such morons, how do they come up with that clever ploy to get back at Sea Bass in the diner? It’s pretty much the only smart thing they do in the entire film.

In Demolition Man, they mention that the 61st amendment allows naturalized citizens to become president. So what are all the other new amendments about?

Why is La Padite chopping at a tree stump at the beginning of Inglourious Basterds?

In Drive, why are the strippers so calm during the hammer scene?

What is that accent Rooney Mara is using in the trailer for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? It’s certainly not Swedish.

Posted by on 10 December, 2011 in Misc.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 responses to “Things I wonder about in films

10 December, 2011 at 01:59

I don’t know the answer to a lot of them, but two I might answer.

Q: Has Brian Cox ever been young?
    A: Yes, check out Manhunter.

Q: In Drive, why are the strippers so calm during the hammer scene?
    A: Probably because they don’t like the guy who gets attacked and/or are high on pills/drugs.

10 December, 2011 at 11:24

Oh, come on! Cox was 40 years in that film. That’s not “young”. :)

Drugs seem a likely reason for the Drive thing, yeah. It was just something that stood out to me while I was watching it. Kind of eerie how they’re just so apathetic towards it.

10 December, 2011 at 18:02

Haha, oh, I thought you meant “younger” ;) And 40 is pretty young for someone old…

10 December, 2011 at 11:15

Good questions! I still wonder about those three sea shells in Demolition Man too.

10 December, 2011 at 11:25

Stallone actually explained that in an interview some time ago. Check out question #9 on this link, though you may be happier not knowing.

• Pete

11 December, 2011 at 11:08

hahahaha thanks at least i finally know!

3. Scott Lawlor

12 December, 2011 at 10:59

HAHA Great article. There are some many little questions that we just let pass us by whilst watching a film. Great for you to point some out!!

:-)

12 December, 2011 at 17:01

Thank you. A lot of these are quite trivial, admittedly, but still I wonder. :)

12 December, 2011 at 11:26

Interesting questions. I probably could make an amazingly long list based on Cars 2 alone ;)

12 December, 2011 at 17:02

Haha! I haven’t seen either Cars movie, and I’m in no hurry to do so either. I’m sure they raise they fair share of issues, though.

5. Alex

16 December, 2011 at 15:40

I love stuff like this!

Rear Window – I think that is one of the great, ironic mysteries of the film – what’s happening on his side. What would someone think if they were looking at him?

Drive – probably because they didn’t want to get their asses beat down.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – welcome to our world. I cannot tell you how many foreign actors do half-ass attempts at American accents.

Do more of these kinds of posts!

16 December, 2011 at 17:32

For the Rear Window one, I like to think that there’s a dozen Miss Torsos on his side of the yeard, and that he just hasn’t noticed them.

I haven’t really considered the concept of non-Americans doing bad American accents before, to be honest. I’m sure there must be, of course. Any particular examples you can think of?

There might be more posts like this is the future. We’ll see.