Someone explain this tagline to me

10 Sep

Some new posters for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1 were recently unveiled. Heres one of them below.

The tagline reads “Forever is only the beginning“, which is more than a little puzzling to me. The wording would imply that there would be something after forever. This, by definition, should be impossible, no? So what’s going on here?

I’m genuinely curious. Understand I’m not trying to poke fun at easy targets here or anything. I haven’t read the books or seen any of the films, so maybe there is something in the Twilight mythos that gives some sense of logic to the line. If so, I really want to know. I assume “forever” is meant to evoke the idea of vampires being immortal, and I get that “beginning” is there to bring home the fact that this is just the first part of Breaking Dawn. But this still doesn’t explain the meaning of the tagline. I don’t hate Twilight, having had no experience with it (and admittedly, I don’t particularly want to either), but this tagline just seems like nonsense to me.

What does “Forever is only the beginning” mean?

Posted by on 10 September, 2011 in Posters

6 responses to “Someone explain this tagline to me

11 September, 2011 at 05:38

I agree it’s a stupid tagline but it’s not the only one. I was perusing through some DVDs at a shop not too long ago and found one with what I consider to be the worst and most implausible tagline I have heard: “An impossible true story.”

11 September, 2011 at 09:34

Oooh, that’s another good one. I can at least see what they’re going for there though. A true story that seems hard to fathom. But going with “impossible” just takes it too far.

And it’s true that there are many nonsensical taglines out there. I singled out this one because it popped up a couple of times in my news feed, but it’s far from alone. Ondine has another good one: “The truth is not what you know, it’s what you believe”. Which could have worked if the film had been some kind of satire, but it’s supposedly meant to be taken at face value which just makes it ridiculous.

11 September, 2011 at 16:30

If I’d have to guess I would say that they are together forever, but that it doesn’t mean it’s happy or something like that (never saw these movies). It’s a weird one though, but there must be lots more of these…

11 September, 2011 at 23:13

Oh, there are plenty of crazy taglines out there. Maybe I’ll do a proper blog post about the worst ones I can find sometime.

3. NeverTooEarlyMP

20 September, 2011 at 02:03

I’m not a Twilight expert, but I think I agree with Nostra in terms of forever referring to the wedding, and he beginning referring to the two-parts, as well as anything that happens afterward.

In a strange way, I’m glad to see this. Too many movies end with a wedding scene and then pretend that all is “happily ever after.” Kind of nice to see a movie series where the much-hyped wedding doesn’t magically solve all the problems.

20 September, 2011 at 08:22

Oh, so there’s a wedding involved? I could see how it might make sense then, though I’d probably have gone with “ever after” or “til death do us part” instead of “forever” in that case. But maybe “forever” is the terminology used in the film. In that case, I might actually be content with the tagline.

Right you are on the whole wedding thing in general. It’s fairly rare to follow a couple both before and after marriage in movies. The ceremony tends to be either the climax (standard romance) or a flashbacked starting point (heavy domestic drama). So getting both sides of it would be interesting.

Thank you for chiming in!